Source: China Daily | 2021-10-14 | Editor:Ines
The leaders' summit of the 15th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (COP15) is held in Kunming, Yunnan province on Oct 12, 2021. [Photo/Xinhua]
Full text: Xi Jinping's speech at the COP15 leaders' summit
President Xi Jinping on Tuesday attended via video link the leaders' summit of the 15th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (COP15) and delivered a keynote speech. Here are some highlights.
On green intl cooperation
- The international community should enhance cooperation, build consensus and pool strength to build a community of all life on Earth
- Countries need to join hands and start a new journey of high-quality development for humanity
- Human activities need to be kept within the limits of the ecology and environment
- International law should be taken as the basis to uphold a fair and equitable international governance system
- Efforts should be concentrated on bettering people's well-being to promote social equity and justice
- The new environmental protection targets people set need to be ambitious on the one hand and pragmatic and balanced on the other
- We should make efforts to let the green transition drive global sustainable development
- Green international cooperation needs to be stepped up and the fruits of green development should be shared among all countries
- We should secure win-win results in economic growth, environmental protection
- Developing countries need support in recovering economy, protecting environment
Photo taken on Sept 28, 2021 shows corals on the seabed in the waters of Fenjiezhou Island of Hainan province, South China. [Photo/Xinhua]
China's actions and plans
- China will invest 1.5 billion yuan (about $233 million) to establish the Kunming Biodiversity Fund. The fund will be used to support developing countries in biodiversity protection. China calls on and welcomes all parties to make contributions to the fund
- The first phase of China's large wind power and photovoltaic projects in desert areas with an installed capacity of approximately 100 million kilowatts has recently started construction
- To achieve its carbon peak and neutrality targets, China will release implementation plans for peaking carbon dioxide emissions in key areas and sectors, as well as a series of supporting measures
- China will vigorously develop renewable energy
- China is moving faster to establish a protected areas system, with national parks as the mainstay
- With protected land area of 230,000 square kilometers, China's first batch of national parks is home to nearly 30 percent of key terrestrial wildlife species in the country
- China has started building a system of national botanical gardens in places like Beijing and Guangzhou
The meeting is set to be held in two parts. The first part, scheduled for October 11 to 15, is held both offline and online.
President Xi Jinping will on Tuesday attend via video link the leaders' summit of the 15th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Conven...
The press center of the first part of the 15th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the UN Convention on Biological Diversity (COP15) is officially opene...
As the host city of the COP15, Kunming has made great effort to welcome this event, and the preparation for the coming conference has already entered final phas...
A subsidiary event of the 15th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (COP15) kicked off Sunday in Kunming, the capi...
China will hold the 15th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity (COP15) in Kunming City, from Oct. 11 to 24.
The 15th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity has been rescheduled to be held in Kunming, Southwest China's Yunnan...
Central China city introduces TCM to help control COVID-19 infections